• Zeit
  • Anzeigen
Alles löschen
neue Beiträge

[Info] Medieval transport and other stuff

Lindybeige
    Medieval transport - the beginners' guide

Carts! Waggons! Boats!
    I drone on about land and water transport (or 'transportation' as my American cousins would say) for an hour or so.
    "Ich kann freilich nicht sagen, ob es besser wird, wenn es anders wird, aber soviel kann ich sagen: Es muß anders werden, wenn es gut werden soll."
    Georg Christoph Lichtenberg (1742 - 1799)

Was nützt es, wenn wir mehrere Sprachen sprechen,
    solange wir nicht die Geduld aufbringen,
    einander zuzuhören...

Art van Rheyn

Lindybeige
    The importance of river crossings in the olden days

Fords, bridges, and ferries were major navigation marks in the minds of medieval folk.
    I talk about this, when I'm not digressing about Henry VIII.
    "Ich kann freilich nicht sagen, ob es besser wird, wenn es anders wird, aber soviel kann ich sagen: Es muß anders werden, wenn es gut werden soll."

einander zuzuhören...

Art van Rheyn

Kommentar

Lindybeige
      Pounds, shillings, and pence: a history of English coinage

ERRATA I woke up the following day after publishing this with an annoying thought buzzing in my head.
      Had I misread the AD&D Players' Handbook? I checked it, and saw that I had. Sorry Gary.
      The point of electrum was to be worth ten times the value of silver, not to be worth half that of gold,
      so 1ep=10sp would have been a useful and clear way to express the conversion rate.

When writing out a list of values like this, it is worthwhile being consistent or comprehensive.
      Anyway, yes, if 1ep=10sp and 20sp=1gp, then it is true that 2ep=1gp.

It would also help to use a bigger typeface. Also, I managed a worse error, which was to to assign the slang terms 'bob' and 'tanner' to the wrong coins.
      I know how this happened too. Partly it was reading an incorrect source, partly it was a failure of layout by me of my notes,
      and partly it was because I was brought up in a decimalised world which used pre-decimal coinage,
      so the coins familiar to me in my youth were the shilling, which was worth 5p (five NEW pence) and the florin, which was worth 10p, and said on it "two shillings".
      This meant that the 'bob' piece was worth 5p which is close to the 6d of the sixpence, which is why I conflated these two in my oxygen-starved head.
      I really wish I could put on-screen corrections, as once I could. Please, YouTube, bring back that feature.

einander zuzuhören...

Art van Rheyn

Kommentar

Lindybeige
        Fantasy character designs may be sillier than you thought

einander zuzuhören...

Art van Rheyn

Kommentar

Lindybeige
          Invisibility - a superpower or a curse?

Invisibility is a power that appears (geddit?) in many stories of myth, fantasy, and science fiction,
          and many a role-play game, and it can seem to be a world-breaking superpower,
          but here I suggest that its many drawbacks may temper this view.

einander zuzuhören...

Art van Rheyn

Kommentar

Lädt...
          X